What Is Sinusitis??
Medishala had a detailed talk with Dr. Amitesh Choudhary one of the top ENT specialist in Patna is currently practicing in
Jay Arogyam Hospital ,Yarpur Road No.1.,Gardnibagh, Patna on the topic of Sinusitis. Now lets us see what he has to say on this Topic its cure, symptoms, and many more.
Sinusitis also is known as Sinus, when there is an inflammation of the air cavities within the passage of Nose is called Sinus. Sinus can be caused by infection, allergies or by some other reason. Mostly the healthy Sinuses are filled with air but sometimes they got blocked and gets filled with some fluid, germs then it becomes the reason for the infection. People who have some kind of allergies, asthma, or some structural blockage or even sometimes people with the weak immune system are at greater risk to get a sinus infection. Sinusitis can also result from irritants, such as chemicals or the use and/or abuse of over-the-counter (OTC) nasal sprays, and illegal substances that may be snorted or inhale through the nose.
There are in total 8 sinus cavities. They all are paired with one of each in the left and right side of the face:-
# Two sinus cavities are in your forehead.
# Two are behind each cheekbone.
# Two sinus cavities are within the bones between your eyes.
# Two are behind each eye.
What are the different types of sinus??
Acute Sinusitis:- Sometimes the bacteria, viruses or fungi infect the cavity of sinus causing inflammation.
Chronic Sinusitis:- Also known as Chronic Rhinosinusitis, it is more than just the series of infection or bacterial attack. Chronic sinusitis is a persistent process of inflammation of the air cavity.
Deviated Septum:- Sometimes naturally the septum which divides the nose is located too far from each other in that condition airflow can be blocked.
Hay Fever:- Also known as Allergic rhinitis this usually happens from pollen, pet hairs dander, and dust mites which cause defenses in the nose and sinuses to overreact.
Nasal Polyps:- This happens due to some kind of asthma, chronic sinus infection, and nasal allergies like hay fever.
What Are Causes Of Sinus Infection??
- Irritating Pollutants.
- Swimming And Diving.
- Overuse of Nasal products.
- Lack of Moisture or Dry Air.
What Are the Symptoms Of Sinus Infection:-
- Facial area pain i.e. either swelling of tenderness and feeling of pain when a facial area is touched.
- Headache due to blockage of the nasal cavity and feeing of pressure inside the head. It is also said then if the person suffering from sinus bend down the pain increases
- Pain and pressure in the sinus tissue due to inflammation of the tissue.
- A discolored and cloudy nasal drainage is quite common in bacterial sinus infections.
- Sometimes even Fever is accomplished with inflammation of the sinus tissue and infection.
- Congestion is a normal feeling of nasal stuffiness that occurs with infectious as well as with non-infectious sinusitis.
- Sore Throat is the most common symptoms that one can see after the inflammation of the sinus tissue.
- Cough is the response to post nasal drip and the body’s attempt to clear out throat tissue irritants.
- Pain in the Tooth is also most common with a sinus infection.
- Bad Breath is usual in bacterial infection.
- Ear pain is caused due to the pressure on the surrounding nerves and tissues.
- Sneezing is also one of the most common symptoms of noninfectious sinusitis.
When To See A Doctor??
- If the sinus infection lasts for more than 10 days.
- More Worsening of the symptoms.
- Several infections of the sinus in a year.
- No significant improvement in the condition of sinus infection after taking OTC medication.
- If due to fever caused by the sinus infection temperature of the body rises above 38-degree celsius.
What Are The Prevention Measures??
- Eat a well-balanced diet and get regular exercise.
- Washing the hand frequently.
- Get a flu shot Yearly.
- Quit Smoking.
- Don’t overuse antibiotics.
- Use a Humidifier.
- Keep the windows closed.
- Staying away from Dust mites.
What Are The Cure For Sinus Infection??
- Antibiotics can help in treatment to treat bacterial and fungal sinus infection.
- Decongestants are those type of drugs which helps the blood vessels inside the nasal tissue constrict due to this less sinus congestion.
- Nasal Saline Spray which helps out in breaking up of dried up mucus and also helps in the keeping of nose moist.
- Nasal Steroids Spray helps in reducing tissue swelling and also stops the growth of nasal polyps after surgery.
- Sinus Surgery is one of the last step treatment for sinus infection. This process totally reduces the blockage in the nasal air passage.
- Some tests like CT scan, Endoscopy, Sinus Cultures, Sinus X-Ray, and some skin test for allergies are included in the treatment process of sinus infection.
Sinus is increasing at very rapid speed every year around 10 million + case is recorded alone in India. In case you are also suffering from the sinus infection then over here on Medishala, we have a wide range of doctor listed and you can book a direct online appointment here on medishala.