What Does biliary obstruction Mean??
Biliary obstruction is a blockage in the bile ducts. The bile ducts are to carry bile from the liver and gallbladder through the pancreas to the duodenum, which is a part of the small intestine. Bile is a dark-green or yellowish-brown fluid secreted by the liver to digest fats. After every meal, the gallbladder releases bile to help in digestion and fat absorption. Bile also helps clear the waste products of the liver. Bile contains cholesterol and bile salts that help the gut to digest fats. It also contains a waste product called bilirubin.
When one or more of the ducts that are used for transportation of bile becomes blocked, it is known as a bile duct obstruction. It is also commonly referred to as biliary obstruction. A bile duct obstruction can lead to bile accumulating in the liver and buildup of bilirubin in the blood. Many of the conditions related to biliary obstructions can be treated successfully. However, if the blockage remains untreated for a long time, it can lead to life–threatening diseases of the liver.
Chatting can cause Cancer:Know everyday habits that could cause CAhttp://healthfeed.medishala.com/chatting-can-cause-cancerknow-everyday-habits-that-could-cause-cancer/
What causes biliary obstruction?
There are many factors due to which blockage in the bile duct can occur:-
- Gallstones, which are the most common cause.
- Inflammation of the bile ducts.
- The trauma of any type.
- A biliary stricture, which is an abnormal narrowing of the duct.
- Enlarged lymph nodes.
- An injury related to gallbladder or liver surgery.
- Tumors that have reached the liver, gallbladder, pancreas, or bile ducts.
- Infections, including hepatitis.
- Cirrhosis, or scarring of the liver.
- Severe liver damage,
- A choledochal cyst (present in infants at birth).
What are the symptoms of biliary obstruction?
The symptoms of biliary obstruction can depend on the cause of the obstruction. People with biliary obstruction usually have the following symptoms:
- Light-colored stools
- Dark urine
- Jaundice (yellowish eyes or skin)
- Pain in the upper right side of the abdomen
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
How Many Types of bile ducts Are There??
The two types of bile ducts in the liver are intrahepatic and extrahepatic ducts:-
- Intrahepatic ducts: Intrahepatic ducts are a system of smaller tubes within the liver that collect and transport bile to the extrahepatic ducts.
- Extrahepatic ducts: The extrahepatic ducts begin as two parts, one on the right of the liver and the other on the left. As they descend from the liver, they unite to form the common hepatic duct. This runs directly toward the small intestine.
What are the Few risk factors??
The risk factors for biliary obstruction usually depend on the cause of the obstruction. The majority of the cases are a result of gallstones in the gallbladder. This makes women more vulnerable to developing a biliary obstruction. Other risk factors include:
- A history of gallstones.
- Chronic pancreatitis.
- Pancreatic cancer.
- An injury to the right part of the abdomen.
- Rapid weight loss.
- Conditions related to the breakdown of red blood cells, such as sickle cell anemia.
- Being Women.
What Are The Few Medical Examination To check Obstruction?
- Blood test.
- Biliary radionuclide scan (HIDA scan)
- Cholangiography (A cholangiography is an X-ray of the bile ducts.)
- MRI Scan
- Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP)
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
What Are The Treatment Available?
- Doctors can usually remove gallstones Which is the main reason for Billary obstruction using an endoscope during an ERCP. However, some people may still require surgery.
- If the cause is found to be cancer, the ducts may need to be stretched and drained. Doctors will do this either using an endoscope or by placing a needle through the skin. They will then treat cancer with a mix of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, depending on its type, size, and location.
- If someone has choledochal cysts, a doctor will usually recommend a surgical procedure to correct the enlarged areas of bile ducts.
What Are The Prevention Measures?
Some of the way from which you can lower your chances of developing a biliary obstruction:
- Increase the amount of fiber in your diet.
- Decrease the amount of sugar and saturated fats in your diet. These can both cause gallstones.
- If you’re overweight, gradually get your weight into a healthy range for your sex, age, and height.
If this Billary obstruction is not treated at the right time then the possibility that it can damage your liver very drastically. So if any of the symptoms are visible to you get yourself treated with a doctor immediately. Now you can even book an online appointment from best doctors available on Medishsla. Book your online appointment today through Medishsla App or website.