What Is Gout??
Uric acid is called a natural waste product that is generated from the digestion of foods that contain a compound called purines. Purines are found in a rich amount in some of the food items such as meat beans, beer, alcohol, etc. Purines are both formed as well as broken down in our body. Generally, our body filters and throw out the uric acid from the body through the kidneys and through urine.
If someone’s consumption of purine is too much in the diet, or if the body is unable to get rid of this by-product immediately, The formation of uric acid starts in the blood. (Although this is not only the sole reason for the formation of uric acid in the body there are many others, we’ll see further in this article).
A high level of uric acid in the body is known as Hyperuricemia and this can lead to a disease called Gout. This disease causes pain in the joints due to the accumulation of urate crystals in the joints. Our blood and urine also become acidic because of this.
What Are The Symptoms Of Gout??
A wide range of symptoms is visible if someone is going through Gout disease or accumulation of uric acid occurs in some bone joints of the body.
- Pain in the joints and sourness.
- Swelling in the joints.
- Redness of the area of accumulation of uric acid.
- Swelling and pain especially in the area like the big toes, ankle, or knee.
- Restrict in the motion of the affected area.
- Pain sensation while touching the affected area.
- The skin becomes shiny and changes to red or purple color.
- Severe pain along the lower back and the spinal cord.
- Sometimes the pain can even extend to the genitals.
- Coming of blood while urination.
- Fever which can reach up to 38.9° C.
- Increased heart rate.
What Are The Risk Factors And Causes??
Since the main cause for the Gout diseases is the accumulation of uric acid in different parts and joints of the body, now let us see what are the factors that act as a catalyst for the increased risk of Gout. Gout occurs when the crystals of urate accumulate in the joints, causing inflammation, redness, and pain due to a gout attack. Formation of Urate crystals happens when someone have high levels of uric acid in your blood.
- Age and sex. Gout is more commonly seen in men, as compared to women because women tend to have a lower level of uric acid. After menopause, however, the level of uric acid in women’s reaches the same level as men. This usually happens to 30-50 plus age group of men.
- Diet. Eating a diet rich in meat, seafood and drinking beverages sweetened with fruit sugar increase levels of uric acid in the body, which increases the risk of gout. Alcohol consumption, especially of beer, also contribute to the increased risk of gout.
- Obesity. If a person is obese, then the possibility of the body producing more uric acid increase and difficulty of the kidneys increases to eliminate the uric acid.
- Certain Medical Conditions. When someone is dealing with certain types of diseases risk of Gout in the body increases. These can be high blood pressure and some other chronic conditions such as diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and heart and kidney diseases.
- surgery or trauma. Experiencing recent surgery or trauma can also be the reason associated with an increased risk of developing a Gout.
- Certain medications: Certain types of medicines and drugs can also be responsible for forming uric acid in the body. Like drugs used to treat hypertension and some low-dose aspirin.
- Family history of gout. If any of the members of the family had gout, you’re more likely to develop this disease.
- An inactive thyroid gland hypothyroidism.
- Low intake of dairy products.
- Eating food and drinks containing a high level of fructose corn syrup.
- Certain cancers and blood disorders like lymphoma, leukemia, and hemolytic anemia can lead to the formation of uric acid.
- Starvation can also be one reason.
- Consumption of food and drink with too much purine compound in it.
- Lead exposure.
What Is Tophi??
When the Hard lumps of uric acid crystals or tophi are first to get deposited in the joint lining or cartilage or even in the bones near the joints and then under the skin around joints. Tophi commonly develop in the fingers, hands, feet, the tough band extending from the calf muscles to the heel, or around the elbows. Development of Tophi can also occur in the kidney and other organs and also sometimes under the skin on the ears. Tophi are generally painless but after some time can become inflamed and can be very painful. If Tophi remains untreated near and around the joints it can burst and discharge chalky masses of uric acid crystals through the skin and may eventually this causes deformities and can even lead to osteoarthritis.
What Are The Prevention Measures??
There are a few available prevention measures listed below
- Drinking plenty of fluidic items.
- Limiting the use of alcohol especially beer.
- Increasing food in the diet containing high protein.
- Increase the intake of dairy products.
- Limiting the intake of meat, fish, and poultry products.
- Maintaining a perfect body weight.
- Eating a balanced diet.
What Are The Few Treatment Measures??
There are a few available treatments measure from which one can get cure this problem of Gout under supervision of doctors.
- Intakeof drugs to relieve pain and swelling resulting from inflammation.
- Taking drugs to prevent flare-ups by preventing inflammation caused by crystals.
- Taking drugs to lower uric acid levels and dissolve the crystals.
- Corticosteroids drugs are very useful to reduce joint inflammation.
- Allopurinol is most often used to lower the blood level of uric acid from the body.
- Febuxostat& Pegloticase are the drugs that are used to lower blood levels of uric acid
- Uricosuric drugs: these drugs increases the excretion of uric acid in the urine.
So, this gout tophi is considered as a very serious disease and one should not ignore the symptoms and contact the doctor as soon as possible. Now one can book an online appointment directly from home of top doctors listed on Medishala. Book your online appointment today.